Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Grown Up

Dear Folks,

Growing up is dismal. When I was little I used to dream of being a "grown-up." I wondered what the magical secret to adulthood was and when I would make this exciting discovery. I have made it.

I mean, I've known for a while that people think I'm grown up. Little kids call me "lady" and my parents have started saying saying things like "you should be more responsible, you're an adult!" but I never really felt like a grown-up until the day before Christmas Eve, when my family was finishing all the Christmas shopping in one fell swoop. It was then that the fatal stroke occurred.

I had to choose between a roll of pretty ribbon and toothbrushes. People, I chose toothbrushes.

At least it's not as bad as it could have been, I almost choose pot-holders over nail polish. Who knows where I would be today if I'd chosen responsibly in that matter. I'm sure you are all very relieved that I survived the transition into adulthood with my vanity intact.

Other depressingly grown-up items that I received for Christmas were a toaster oven and a pair of winter gloves (both of which I asked for) and a pair of winter boots, which I did not ask for, but filled me with great joy all the same. The depressing part about these gifts is how excited I was about receiving them. Little person me would have been so disgusted. Big Girls are supposed to like exciting things like cars and perfume, not cooking implements and puffy gloves. 

But the most distinctive proof is this: My parents gave me makeup for Christmas. That absolutely settled the question once and for all. I am officially a Big Girl. I have to figure out how to do this "grown-up" thing for reals now. Wish me luck, y'all!

(In all honesty though, if I were a really grown-up Big Girl, I would be doing something productive and character building--like washing windows or folding laundry--instead of sitting here writing this and eating starbursts.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lissy! I just found your blog through Abby's blog, Lavender Spring, and thought I'd check it out. And I must say, this post was highly amusing.

    Isn't it so true, though? We do get awfully boring when we grow up. ;P

    "I'm sure you are all very relieved that I survived the transition into adulthood with my vanity intact." Haha. That sentence especially made me smile. :)

    ~Miss March

    P.S. I like lists, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you for stopping by. I'm so glad you liked my posts!

      Yes, I've noticed that boring is a side effect of growing up, but I shall go down fighting. I still like coloring books and bubbles and jump-ropes. Also poofy dresses and glitter. Adulthood might take me, but I shall retain at least a grain of self-respect!

      Lists are wonderful. Also convenient. I'd never remember anything if I didn't write it down.

      Delete
  2. Is being 'grown-up' frightening? Or the transition? I am particularly worried myself, and although I do not like coloring books and jump rope and glitter, I am terrified that I won't be able to function in the real world. Was the transition really that bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not fully there yet. I still need to finally get my permit (I've put it off for waaaaaay too long and I still need to find a job, but honestly, the only thing that really scares me right now is college, and I wouldn't worry about that except for how terrible I am at math. If I could get things together in math I'd feel just about perfectly happy with my prospects.

      I got over my fear of growing up roughly a year ago. Now that I'm technically a "grown-up" I've got most of the worrying out of my system. So, in answer to your question, no it's not frightening. Just inconvenient and boring sometimes. But it's nice too. I'm allowed to go visit my Dead Grandma (She isn't actually dead, it's a family joke) on my own once I learn to drive. I'm really looking forward to it. We have tons of fun together, just the two of us.

      But I'm still at home so I don't have to deal with everything about the adult life all at once...and I'm rambling. Oops.

      To conclude: It's not scary. Not really. If you accept that this is going to be your life and can take what gets thrown at you, you're going to be just fine.

      Delete