Friday, January 19, 2018

New(ish) Resolutions

I broke my New Year’s resolution already.

To most of you, this will come as no surprise. I’m sure that most of you who have made resolutions can probably sympathize. It happens every year. We promise ourselves we’ll eat better, we’ll get more sleep, we’ll do twenty pushups every day, we’ll learn how to cook, we’ll never forget to water the spider plant ever again…etc. etc.

But you see, I was clever. I was determined that this year would be the year. The year that I would finally keep my New Year’s resolutions. I grinned to myself when I saw other people talking about how they wouldn’t be able to keep theirs. Because I was a genius. I came up with a failsafe plan to make a resolution that I would never break!

My brilliant resolution was that I would not make any New Year’s Resolutions. Easy right? Only if you are not a raging idealist.

So I finally broke down today and made a resolution. (If only I’d waited until February. You see, any resolution one makes in January is a New Year’s resolution. It just is.) My resolution is that I will personally write something meaningful/productive every day. Every. Single. Day.

There are three possibilities. Four, if you count failure.
  1. I will write a lot on this blog to avoid having to write my novel
  2. I will write a lot on my novel to avoid having to write on this blog
  3. I will write a lot of letters, to avoid doing both

So yes. That is my resolution. If you guys want to help, you can occasionally leave me ominous warnings and vague prophesies of the future in the comment section, just to keep me on my toes.  


Here’s to the semi-New Year. Cheers! 

P.S. Do you think my next New Year's resolution should be to figure out just exactly how paragraphs work? 

No comments:

Post a Comment